We’re back! We’ve actually been home since Thursday night, but I had no time to write until today. Friday was for catch up at work, and today…ah…today has been for working in the garden.

I have a new friend who helped me garden today. Laura is a friend of Rachael’s who is just as crazy about gardening as I am, but has no space to do it in. She will be sharing the garden space this year, which is just fine with me. As much as I love to grow veggies and eat them myself, Mark is not as into it as me. So, I typically end up with lots of produce to give away or that goes to waste. Of course, now that the I have the “hungry hens” there is likely to be very little wasted at all, but I’d rather see some person get to eat it first.

Today we prepped and planted two beds with cool season veggies: peas, chard, beets, radishes, leeks (a bit late for these, but we’ll see what we get), arugula, and two different kinds of lettuce. One of the beds is reserved for tomatoes and eggplants, and the other was planted in garlic last fall, which is sprouting fairly well. We’ll add some pole beans to the perimeter of that bed once we get past the last frost date. Other things that I’ll be adding in pots are peppers (capsicums) and watercress. At last year’s farmers market, I found myself stalking the one farmer who sold watercress. I had no idea I loved this green so much until last year. Now I’ll have my own yummy plot. We’ll also be adding pots of herbs, too, but all of that must wait until after mid-to late-May when we get our average last frost date.

The weather was perfect today: sunny and warm. We lured the hens into their Eglu run with some wilted greens and then got to work. Once the beds were prepped and planted, we had to secure them with bird-netting and fencing to keep the hens from digging up all our seeds. I really need to build a new run for them that will give them more room to roam than the Eglu does but still keep them away from the garden beds. However, I won’t have any free time to do that until after next weekend.

All in all it was a fabulous day and I’m feeling much better than I have in weeks. I’m off to make some dinner and now, so will have to post about our trip to Cumberland Island another day.


2 thoughts on “Returning

  1. Sounds like you had a productive day – and hopefully a wonderful vacation!! I myself have some generallyickyfeelingnotreallysickjustwornout sort of feeling. But, I’m hopeful to spend some time in my yard today – raking, clearing up the eleventy millions sticks and branches that seem to be everywhere. Hopefully the sunshine and fresh air will hand me some Spring goodness. Can’t wait to hear about the trip!


  2. Ooooh, peas, my favorite part of spring!

    We got the basic Target Dyson, in hideous Target red and it works so well I can’t imagine what the more expensive models are capable of. Personally, I prefer canisters and have owned them for years, but I don’t have stairs to contend with anymore. The uprights do have a very spiffy hose option-there’s a rigid hose buried in the flex hos ethat runs down the back of the vacuum so there’s a lot more play than you’d expect, and it works pretty well, though not as well as having a beater brush on the end.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s